The Selian Centre located in Arusha region is among 17 research Centres operating under the auspices of Tanzania Agricultural Research Institute (TARI). The centre was established as Canadian Wheat and Barley Research Farm in 1979 under Canadian Government Funding. In 1982 the Government of Tanzania took the responsibilities and the Centre became the northern zone research headquarters. In 1992 and 1994, the bean research and maize research activities at Lyamungo in Kilimanjaro region were handed over to Selian Centre respectively.
TARI Selian mainly deals with:
- Research coordination on wheat, barley, maize, and bean
- Research and develop the quality seed varieties on wheat, barley, maize and bean
- Research on natural resource management (soil, agroforestry, )
- Research on socio-economics and marketing
- Technology transfer and strengthening partnership